Weather injection?

Anything to do with the interaction between Aerowinx PSX and the RealTraffic client app
Will

Weather injection?

Post by Will »

Hi Balt,

I'm curious about whether RT injects any weather into PSX. For example, what happens when I check "Advanced WX injection to match real world traffic"?

Is RT injecting anything into PSX other than traffic?

Thanks,

Will
admin
Site Admin

Re: Weather injection?

Post by admin »

Yes, that's one of the main features of RT with PSX! It will inject the real world weather (and if you have a pro license, historical weather for the date/time you're flying at as well).
Will

Post by Will »

Hi again. FYI, I'm flying with RT, PSX, PSXTraffic, and MSFS.

We exchanged some emails about this, but I think it was back in 2022, so please pardon me for forgetting how things work. When I have PSX and RT running, am I right that RT injects all the weather (METARs and winds aloft) into PSX? So when I look on the weather page in PSX and read the METAR for the airport I'm currently at, I'm looking at a METAR that's been injected by RT?

It's a little confusing because PSX doesn't have a flag that says "this weather has been injected by an outside app." If I click the box in PSX that says "Set zones by flight track and downloaded METARs", will that cancel the injection from RT and use PSX's own internet connection to load the weather?

In some ways this is just an academic question, since theoretically PSX and RT would be using the same data for METARs. I'm just trying to understand how it works.

Also, concerning the winds aloft -- the subject of many of our emails -- RT will inject real-world data for both actual and historical winds as measured and reported across the globe, right? No need anymore for the "wind corridor" in PSX if RT is connected? I remember at one point, RT was actually writing into the PSX wind corridor.

[Edit: Now I'm seeing the wind corridor injection. I think I didn't see it before because I was ticking the PSX checkbox above about "Set zones by...", does that sound right?]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Will,

and welcome to the forum!

Yes we have exchanged quite a few messages when I first implemented this for PSX. Injection of the local weather conditions happens via the PSX weather corridor data (as you've observed).

The weather injection is controlled by the "Advanced WX injection to match real world traffic" and the "Send SIGMETs to simulator" checkboxes in the Advanced Settings dialog of RT.

In PSX, if you go to the Weather tab in the instructor panel, you can view and verify the METARs loaded match the timestamps of when you are flying, and you can view the SIGMETs being injected. Note the SIGMETs only update every 10 minutes. If you want to update them right now, click the "Refresh SIGMETs now" button on the "Advanced Settings" dialog in RT and watch them being injected in the instructor screen. These options also automatically turn on the "SIGMETs embedded in the planet weather model" and the "Special wind & OAT corridor embedded in planet weather model" check boxes in the instructor station.
Will

Post by Will »

Thanks! Now that I have a better idea what to look for, I can say it's working very well.

The combination of PSX, MSFS, RealTraffic, and PSXTraffic is really excellent. Feels like "Peak Sim."